You will need this licence if you intend to conduct a:
- major trade promotion
- instant prize trade promotion.
Your lottery will be classed as a major trade promotion if the total prize value exceeds $5000, and you are not using instant scratch or break-open tickets. In a major trade promotion lottery, entry must be free, however:
- participants may have to purchase goods or services, which are the subject of the promotion
- winners must be determined by lot, draw or chance
- the cost of entry by phone must not exceed 50 cents (plus GST and any mobile charges).
Your lottery will be classed as an instant prize trade promotion if you are using instant scratch or break-open tickets where the number, letter or symbol indicating the winning chance is hidden or concealed, regardless of prize value. Instant prize lotteries have instant prizes only and may also have:
- an unclaimed prize draw
- a second chance or major draw in the terms and conditions.
The lottery must not be drawn electronically, except by way of a random number generator that draws a winner at random.