You will need this registration if you intend to perform artificial breeding procedures on livestock.
An artificial breeding procedure means:
- veterinary procedures directed at fertilisation of livestock ova by artificial means, including artificial insemination, collection of livestock embryos and implantation in other livestock, in vitro fertilisation
- collecting, processing, handling, storing or distributing livestock semen, ova or embryos for the purposes of such procedures.
Livestock means animals kept or usually kept in a domestic or captive state such as cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, and horses.
There are three categories of artificial breeding procedure registration which may be granted:
- Insemination of livestock registration: Authorising the holder to carry out artificial insemination of livestock.
- Semen collection and processing registration: Authorising the holder to collect semen from livestock and process it.
- Embryo collection and processing registration: Authorising the holder to collect ova or embryos from livestock and process them.