You will need to comply with this code if you intend to design or install approved wastewater systems. Wastewater systems include:
- septic tanks
- secondary treatment systems (e.g. aerated wastewater treatment systems, sand filters, etc.)
- ancillary equipment (e.g. trafficable lids, risers, etc.)
- other biological wastewater treatment systems (e.g. tricking filters, worm farm systems, rotating biological contractors, etc.)
- greywater systems
- composting toilets
- other blackwater / toilet waste systems
- yellow water (urine separation and / or treatment systems)
- alternative technologies.
The purpose of the code is to ensure the safe disposal and reuse of domestic or other wastewater to protect public and environmental health.
The code sets out the procedures and technical requirements for the design, approval, installation and operation of on-site wastewater systems and connection to community wastewater management systems. The Code also includes the minimum requirements for a product approval for an on-site wastewater system.