Trade Waste Discharge Permit / Trade Waste Agreement - Northern Territory


You will need this permit if you are a business that discharges trade waste to a sewerage system. This permit is not transferable and new occupiers must reapply.

Trade waste is defined as "liquid or liquid borne waste generated from any business, trade, manufacturing process or similar that is approved for discharge to sewer but does not include wastewater from a toilet, shower, hand-basin or similar fixture".

If the trade waste discharged from a business does comply with the guidelines, the business will be required to install approved pre-treatment equipment. Plans and installation details of all pre-treatment equipment must be submitted to Power and Water for approval.

Businesses discharging small volumes of trade waste will be issued with a Trade Waste discharge Permit. Trade Waste Discharge Permits are not transferable. Businesses discharging large volumes and/ or high risk trade waste will be required to enter into a more formal Trade Waste Agreement and will be charged for volume and concentration.

The agency will specify the maintenance frequency for all pre-treatment equipment.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


The duration of a Trade Waste Discharge Permit depends on the Risk Rank Assessment. A high risk permit shall be issues for two years and a low risk permit can be issued for a period of eight years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Currently there are no application fees.


Approval time

Up to 10 days.

Administering agency

Power and Water Corporation

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.