Working with Children Check - New South Wales


You will need to obtain a working with children check if you intend to undertake paid or voluntary work in a role involving face-to-face contact with children. The types of work you will require the check for clearance includes, but is not limited to:

  • child development and family welfare services, including mentoring and counselling services
  • child protection services and associated services
  • children's health services
  • disability services for children
  • education, early education and child care including nanny services
  • entertainment for children
  • justice centre services
  • religious services
  • transport services for children
  • residential services, such as refuges, overnight camps and home stays
  • school cleaning services
  • any services for children provided by a club, association, movement, society or other body.

This check is designed to protect children from close contact with individuals who may pose a threat to their health and safety, such as individuals who have been convicted of sexual or violent offences against children. You will be required to provide details of your check, or application for your check, to your employer when you commence work.

If you are refused a working with children check, you will be barred from working with children for 5 years.

If you are an employer in a child-related industry, it is your responsibility to ensure that each of your employees has obtained a working with children check and you have registered your business with the Office of the Children's Guardian and verified that your employees WWC numbers.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You may not need to apply if you:

  • are a child under the age of 18
  • are volunteering with children and are a parent or close relative of the children
  • work in a clerical, administrative or maintenance role and do not ordinarily have contact with children for extended periods of time
  • are employed in very short term work
  • provide informal domestic work
  • work only with close relatives
  • are a co-worker or supervisor of a child who is employed
  • are an interstate visitor who is volunteering at a one-off event that is no longer than 30 days
  • are an interstate visitor working in a child-related industry for no longer than 30 days and hold a working with children check clearance from another state or territory
  • are an interstate health practitioner working for up to 5 days in a three-month period
  • are a home carer with a police certificate for aged care
  • are a NSW or Federal Police Officer
  • are a private health practitioner who does not ordinarily treat children without parental supervision.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to apply, you must be able to provide photo identification and pay all fees relating to your application.


Five years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $80.00

The working with children check is free for volunteers. Fees for 2022-23

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Working with Children Check (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Child Protection (Working with Children) Act 2012 New South Wales

Regulation(s) name

Child Protection (Working with Children) Regulation 2013 New South Wales

Approval time

Please allow up to 4 weeks for your application to be processed.

Additional information

If you live overseas, you can apply online for a working with children check. Once you arrive in Australia, you will need to complete the rest of your application in person.

If a bar against you is being considered by the Office of the Children's Guardian, you will be contacted by phone and by letter to inform you of the potential bar. You may be able to appeal a bar in some circumstances.

If you have lost your working with children check number, you can retrieve it online at the Office of the Children's Guardian's website.

You can apply for a new working with children check when your current clearance is 3 months away from expiring.

Disqualified persons or entities

You will not be eligible if:

  • you have been convicted of a particular sexual or violent offence
  • proceedings have been commenced against you for a particular offence
  • you have a history of misconduct involving a child
  • a reasonable person would not allow you to have unsupervised direct contact with their child
  • you are considered by the Office of the Children's Guardian to pose a safety risk to children
  • it is in the public interest to not grant you the clearance.

Administering agency

NSW Office of the Children's Guardian

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.